Friday, January 11, 2013

I'm Not Crying Over This

Last winter my winter gardening experiment turned out to be discovering how to keep plastic sheeting on the bed through the winds.  I say "turned out" because my original experiment was to plant seeds and grow vegetables under plastic.  The seeds never sprouted.  And the plastic kept blowing off.  I did find out that a long heavy metal pipe laid on the plastic close to the bed is the best method to hold down plastic in our high winter winds.from Johnny's Seed http://www.johnnyseeds.com/.  We did "improve" on my wintering garden project by making frames to put the plastic over creating low tunnels. 

















 This is what the bed looked like on one of our 4 x 10 beds that had a low tunnel over it.  Like I said, I'm not crying over it.  This chard survived through 9 degrees F and gusts of 35 mph winds.

The chard up close
New Growth on 1/11/2013!
   

                                       











Look new growth!  No, I'm not crying. I had  my regular weekend scramble of super foods - ground beef, onions, garlic, tomatoes and chard (form my winter garden!)
                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment